Financial Empowerment Programs at SMD Self-Help Clearinghouse
Access to Benefits
We also provide information and free, knowledgeable assistance in accessing the programs and benefits that will help you build a stronger financial future.
How can I access these programs?
Drop in: 204 – 825 Sherbrook St.
• For Access to Benefits, please contact the coordinator to arrange an appointment. Some services can be delivered by mail, email or telephone.
• For Matched Savings:
- Request an application in print or by email
- Complete the application and return with evidence of income
- Meet with program coordinator to learn more about the program. Decide if it is the right program for you, and if it is the right time to take it.
Program Income Limits
Household Saving IDA/Access
size Circle to Benefits
1 Person $18,712 $24,949
2 People $23,296 $31,061
3 People $28,639 $38,185
4 People $34,772 $46,362
5 People $39,437 $52,583
6 People $44,478 $59,304
7 People + $49,520 $66,027
*if your income is outside of these ranges please discuss with us.
Print off our program brochure Financial Empowerment Programs Brochure 2017
Community Volunteer Income Tax Program
Free tax clinic by appointment available to prepare your income taxes for 2016.
Dates: Wednesdays and Thursday in April 2017
Location: 204-825 Sherbrook Street
Taxes are done by appointment only.
To arrange an appointment call: 204-975-3037 or email FinLit@smd.mb.ca
Get Your Benefits!
Get Your Benefits! is a 20-page plain language booklet listing many federal, provincial and regional benefits and programs individuals and families living in Manitoba may be eligible for. This booklet is available in two languages - English [pdf] and French [pdf].
Visit www.getyourbenefits.ca for more information about the individual programs and benefits, as well as the benefits of filing tax retuns.
Access to Benefits
Through the Access to Benefits Program (A2B) we can help you with FREE knowledgeable assistance to apply for government benefit programs and tax credits such as these, and others:
• Government benefit programs and tax credits:
- Disability Tax Credit
- Canada Pension Plan Disability
- Registered Disability Savings Plans
- Child Tax Credit
- GST or other rebates
- Employment and Income Assistance
- Primary Caregiver Tax Credit
• File income tax returns for current and previous years
• Solve problems related to benefits that apply to you
• Referrals for other financial programs and services
• Get identification required to access benefits
• Budget coaching – one to one help in establishing budgets and addressing budget problems
Through the Matched Savings Programs you can save for something you need, earning up to a 3:1 match on your savings:
> Six month program saving up to $250 with a match of up to $750
> Qualifying goals include:
- Household needs (furniture, computer, basic equipment)
- Damage deposits
- Work clothing and equipment
- Glasses, dental, other health or disability related needs
- Education and RESP savings
- RDSP long term savings
- Ask about other things!
Individual Development Accounts:
> 24 month program saving up to $1,000, with a match of up to 3:1
> Qualifying goals:
- Education for self or dependent
- RESP or RDSP long term saving
- Medical or assistive devices
- Essential home repairs for accessibility or safety
- Business starts with SEED Winnipeg approved business plan