As part of SMD's Employment Preparation Centre (EPC), the Work Experience Program uses actual on-the-job experience in community work settings to assess a consumer's strengths, needs and work potential.
Job postings last from four to six weeks (or longer if necessary) with a technical trainer providing support to both the employee and the employer where required. During that time, the individual is evaluated in five areas:
- Interest in work or education
- Physical ability and tolerance
- Specific skills and potential
- Need for job accommodation or technical aids
- Work habits and behaviour
Based on the work experience assessment, one of five recommendations will be made, with SMD providing support to the individual every step of the way:
- Referral to Employment Services;
- Academic upgrade-general or business;
- Further work training;
- Volunteer work; or
- Referral to a Life Skills Program.
For more information, contact the SMD Employment Preparation Centre at (204) 975-3124 or TTY (204) 975-3125