Through the Travel Assistance Program, a person with a permanent disability who cannot travel without an attendant can be approved for reduced fares at participating Motor Coach Companies and Via Rail.
As the official provincial affiliate of Easter Seals Canada, SMD (specifically SMD Foundation) is responsible for managing the Travel Assistance Program in Manitoba. This means SMD is authorized to provide a Disability Travel Card™ to people who meet the program’s eligibility requirements.
Only people with a permanent disability who require an attendant when travelling can apply, regardless of the person's age. An attendant is defined as “an individual who accompanies a person with a permanent disability who cannot travel independently. An attendant will provide that person with required services that are not normally provided by a vehicle operator. These services include assisting the person with eating, administering medication and using the facilities in an onboard washroom or a washroom at a stop.”
Applications must be verified by the applicants' Registered Health Care Provider and agree to the following terms and conditions:
- The person with a permanent disability and the adult attendant must travel together for the entire trip.
- The adult attendant must be capable of assisting the person with a permanent disability.
- The person with a disability will make application to SMD, Easter Seals Canada or its designated affiliates by having completed the Application of Eligibility form. Upon approval of the Application of Eligibility by SMD or Easter Seals Canada, an identification card will be issued authorizing the reduced fare.
- NOTE: Authorized party fare tickets will be based on REGULAR FARES and are not applicable on any excursion fares, unlimited travel tickets, clergy, Blind and Escort or other reduced fares, or to or through the United States.
- BAGGAGE: Collapsible non-motorized wheelchairs and other aids will be accepted as Baggage.
- GENERAL INFORMATION TO NOTE: The identification card must be returned to the issuing office and replaced with a new one if the eligible person changes his/her name or address.
To apply for a Disability Travel Card™ start by downloading the application form (opens as a PDF), filling it out and returning it to:
401-825 Sherbrook St
Phone: (204) 975-3111
Fax: (204) 975-3011
IMPORTANT NOTE: Airlines are not part of the Travel Assistance Program. Each airline must be contacted directly to ask about any potential reduced fare programs or options for people with disabilities. It’s also important to read through the terms and conditions outlined in the application form before applying.
Each airline must be contacted directly to ask about any potential reduced fare programs or options for people with disabilities.