Thompson Supported Employment Program (TSEP)
We are the first and longest running supported employment program in Thompson, Manitoba that has been servicing the community for over 27 years.
We provide Direct Employment Services in Thompson both to those connected with our Adult Vocational Rehabilitation Program but also to person’s with other disabilities or health conditions that encounter barriers that affect the process of looking for, finding and keeping employment.
Our services are directed by the needs of each individual participant.
- Job shadowing
- Job readiness training
- Resume preparation
- Job search support
- Work experience placement
- Job coaching and workplace support for participants and employers
Our Mission is to deliver a comprehensive variety of quality employment services to persons with disabilities and other barriers to employment and to act as a resource to local progressive employers.
For The Job Seeker
TSEP offers group based pre-employment skills training delivered through a 12 week program of workshops and classroom activities to assist individuals in developing the following skills which will be transferable to the workplace:
- Personal development
- Time management skills
- Coping strategies for dealing with stress
- Communication Skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Building self-esteem
- Rights and responsibilities
- Learn about the rights and responsibilities of a job seeker with a disability
- Workplace success
- Workplace culture
- How to showcase your talents and abilities in the workplace
- Career exploration/planning
- Learn about the importance of goal setting
- Gain information about potential career opportunities (labor market Information)
- Individual vocational assessments completed to assist in identifying career interests and aptitudes
- Formulating a plan of action to realize career vision
- Resume development
- Cover letters
- Interview skills
- Self-marketing strategies
Following the pre-employment and assessment phase (12 weeks), we will enter an interactive component where participants will have an opportunity to experience several job shadows in their areas of interest and enter into a 12 week work experience opportunity leading to gainful employment.
For the Employer
Our Employment Development Specialist can:
- Assist you with identifying qualified applicants that will compliment your team and business.
- Assist with onboarding of staff
- Provide on-site job coach support during the orientation and training period to ensure a positive and professional experience between employer and employee where natural supports become built into the workplace strengthening employee retention
- Assist with developing job descriptions
- Prescreening of applicants
- Education and training opportunities for staff
- Job carving from existing positions
- Raise awareness on work site modifications, job accommodations and job redesign
We have an established pool of progressive employers within Thompson and are always striving to continue to build employer capacity in regards to Diversity Inclusion. We offer certified Accessible Customer Service training to assist businesses to become compliant with the Accessibility for Manitobans Act Customer Service Standard.
We promote to employers the return on investment of hiring people with disabilities.
Here are some benefits on hiring people with disabilities reported by progressive employers:
- Contributes to a better rate of attendance, punctuality, employee morale, teamwork and safety in the workplace
- Often leads to a reduction in staff turnover; people with disabilities have proven to be skilled and loyal employees
- Shows that the company values diversity and is a tangible example of good corporate citizenship
- Increases the purchasing power for individuals with a disability and their families
- Reflects the demographics of your community, and enhances the community’s understanding of people with disabilities
- May free up resources to complete other tasks and increase productivity
- Allows the person with a disability to be a role model to the staff, community and others with a disability
- May include free corporate marketing when your new employee talks about where they work
- May require accommodations for your new employee, but the change may make your company more robust, innovative and adaptive
For More Info Please Contact
Thompson Supported Employment Program
303-83 Churchill Drive, Thompson, MB R8N 0L6
204-677-8322 or Toll Free: 1-866-367-0268