Novel Coronavirus & SMD: We Are Here For You
At SMD, our highest priority is the health and safety of our clients, our staff, and their families. We understand the concern and anxiety you may feel about the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), and how it may affect your daily life. We are here for you.
We are working differently right now. For example, we may call instead of visit. We are committed to remaining available to you and your family, as much as possible.
Our leadership is collaborating daily to assess the current situation and respond accordingly. We are acting with an abundance of caution, in line with the provincial government.
For updates on the delivery of SMD services, visit our website and social media sites. And of course, feel free to contact any SMD staff person if you have a specific question or concern.
- Website: https://www.smd.mb.ca/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SocietyForManitobansWithDisabilities/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/SMD_MB
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/smd_mb/
We encourage you to seek factual and up to date information from reliable sources. Here are a few links to important information about COVID-19 that will help you stay informed:
- Federal Government: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html?utm_campaign=not-applicable&utm_medium=vanity-url&utm_source=canada-ca_coronavirus
- Provincial Government: https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/index.html
- Shared Health: https://sharedhealth.mb.ca
Most importantly, if you have any symptoms of COVID-19 use the Manitoba Health screening tool found here: https://sharedhealthmb.ca/covid19/screening-tool/. Symptoms of COVID-19 may include cough, fever, sore throat, runny nose, weakness, headache, or – in severe cases – shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.
Remember the basics:
• WASH your hands. Use soap and warm water and wash for at least 20 seconds. Dry your hands thoroughly. You can use an alcohol-based hand cleanser if your hands are not visibly dirty.
• COVER your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing, or cough or sneeze into your sleeve.
• MINIMIZE prolonged (more than 10 minutes), close (less than 2 metres / 6 feet) contact with others in public as part of social distancing. Avoid greetings that involve touching, including handshakes and hugs.
• DISINFECT regularly used surfaces, electronics and other personal belongings frequently.
• STAY HOME when possible.
Thank you for your trust in us. We are committed to keeping everyone we serve safe, while providing the support and care you have come to rely on from SMD.