Society for Manitobans with Disabilities (SMD)
SMD has existed in various forms since the late 1940s. Today, the SMD family includes a head office in Winnipeg as well as six regional offices throughout Manitoba that provide services and support to people with disabilities in rural areas. Additionally, the SMD Foundation is the official provincial affiliate for Easter Seals™ Canada and also fundraises under the Easter Seals™ Manitoba name.
Each of the two members of the SMD family has its own specific role to play in SMD’s non-profit operations:
- SMD Foundation is the fundraising member of the family, raising funds primarily through its Easter Seals Manitoba activities.
- SMD Services provides programs and services in areas ranging from education and work experience to counseling and therapy programs.
At SMD, the core operating principles that determine our direction are centered around the people we serve. Our operating principles dictate that:
- Clients' needs shall guide the development of all services, programs, and investments.
- Clients shall have access, wherever feasible and practicable, to programs and services province-wide.
- Clients shall have the right to a fair and objective appeal process.
- Clients shall have open access to information regarding their services or programs.
Our Vision: An inclusive and accessible society
Our Mission: Working together to eliminate barriers to full and equal participation
Our Values: Collaboration, Diversity, Innovation