Society for Manitobans with Disabilities
SMD has existed in various forms since the late 1940s. Today, the SMD family includes a head office in Winnipeg as well as six regional offices throughout Manitoba that provide services and support to people with disabilities in rural areas. SMD is also affiliated with national organizations such as Easter Seals Canada.
Each of the five members of the SMD family has its own specific role to play in SMD’s non-profit operations:
- SMD Alliance provides strategic direction and coordination for all SMD operations.
- SMD Clearinghouse provides support to organizations of people engaged in self-help activities.
- SMD Foundation is the fundraising member of the family, raising funds primarily through its Easter Seals Manitoba activities.
- SMD Services provides programs and services in areas ranging from education and work experience to counseling and therapy programs.
- SMD Ventures is responsible for building partnerships, coordinating joint ventures and managing investments on behalf of SMD.
At SMD, the core operating principles that determine our direction are centered around the people we serve.
Our operating principles dictate that:
- Consumers' needs shall guide the development of all services, programs and investments.
- Consumers shall have access, wherever feasible and practicable, to programs and services province-wide.
- Consumers shall have the right to a fair and objective appeal process.
- Consumers shall have open access to information regarding their services or programs.
Our actions are also rooted in the values that are most important to us as a non-profit organization serving Manitobans with disabilities. At SMD, we value:
- Empowerment of persons with disabilities
- Independence as a principle of well-being
- Participation in all areas of society
- Community for support and growth
- Prevention of disabling conditions
- Holism as a model for service
- Dignity in all matters