Volunteer Services at SMD is part of the Human Resources Department. It is responsible for recruiting, interviewing, orientation, placement, and recognition of volunteers. Every effort is made to match volunteers to meaningful opportunities, which reflect their interests and needs as well as providing valuable resources to our organization.
Most of our volunteer opportunities occur during normal business hours. We also have volunteer opportunities that may exist on weekday evenings and/or weekends. Many volunteer opportunities occur as the result of the many Special Events conducted by the SMD Foundation.
There are many benefits to volunteering at our organization. These include:
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities
- Possible career skill pathing
- Gain valuable work experience
- Make a difference in someone’s life
- Give back to your community
- Personal satisfaction
- Make new friends and establish networks
- Have fun
The list of benefits is as long and diverse as the list of volunteers who contribute their time, talent, and energy to SMD.
There are several ways to apply for a volunteer position at SMD
- Log-in to our online application centre.
- Mail, Email, or Fax the PDF format Application Form (this link will open a PDF document )
- Visit SMD in person! You may pick-up an application at the front reception, complete the form, and leave it with our receptionist. Our normal business hours are: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm Monday to Friday.
We look forward to your expression of interest to volunteer with SMD.